Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Lectio Divina Meditation for Seventh Sunday of Easter

Seventh Sunday of Easter Year C
May 16
“Unity with God”


1. Lectio
John 17:20-26
20 “I pray not only for them, but also for those who believe in me because of their message. 21 I pray that they may all be one. Father! May they be in us, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they be one, so that the world will believe that you sent me. 22 I gave them the same glory you gave me, so that they may be one, just as you and I are one: 23 I in them and you in me, so that they may be completely one, in order that the world may know that you sent me and that you love them as you love me.
24 “Father! You have given them to me, and I want them to be with me where I am, so that they may see my glory, the glory you gave me; for you loved me before the world was made. 25 Righteous Father! The world does not know you, but I know you, and these know that you sent me. 26 I made you known to them, and I will continue to do so, in order that the love you have for me may be in them, and so that I also may be in them.”

Comments
Today, we hear a part of the prayer which is known as Jesus’ ‘High priestly prayer’. This is the jewel and the final part of Jesus’ teaching for his disciples before his passion. Unity is at the heart of this prayer. Jesus prays repeatedly that his disciples will experience the same unity that he enjoys with the Father. And this prayer is not just for those disciples that were with him that evening. This unity isn’t limited in any way by time or space. It is for all his believers for all time. It is a mystery of God’s grace that sinful and weak human beings can be in such unity. Two things however seem to be essential. Firstly, to be in relationship and unity with God the Father and with Jesus: ‘may they be in us’ (verse 21). Secondly, to have God’s unconditional love in us: ‘that the love you have for me may be in them’ (verse 26). This unity has a glorious purpose - to draw others to God the Father through Jesus. Through this unity people will believe that God loves them and sent Jesus to save them.

2. Meditatio
1. Spend time reflecting on your relationship with members of this community. Is there unity? How have you contributed or not contributed to the building of unity in your community? (Pause 3 minutes)
2. Spend time reflecting on your relationship with others, who are not part of this community? Is there solidarity with them or hostility? How have you contributed or not contributed in reaching out to them? (Pause 3 minutes)
3. Spend time reflecting on your relationship with the Church. How have you contributed or not contributed to the unity of the Church? (Pause 3 minutes)
4. Spend time reflecting on your relationship with God. How is your relationship at this present moment? Have you grown closer to him or you have grown distant from God? (Pause 3 minutes)

3. Oratio
Sit down and spend a while in silence. Let God speak to you and lead you to respond to him in prayer. He may encourage you to be daring and ask something that you’ve not had the courage to ask before because humanly speaking it seems impossible. He may direct you to pray about a relationship that needs reconciliation or for someone to believe in Jesus and know that God loves them.

4. Contemplatio
Pick out a word or a short phrase from the passage above and use it in your contemplation.

5. Actio
1. Personal Life: During this month or week, pray for unity in your family, BEC, the Church and Malaysia. Pray especially for reconciliation where relationships have been injured or weakened.
2. Communal Life: Brainstorm and discuss a project which could be done together as a community during this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Terms of Use: As additional measure for security, please sign in before you leave your comments.

Please note that foul language will not be tolerated. Comments that include profanity, personal attacks, and antisocial behaviour such as "spamming" and "trolling" will be removed. Violators run the risk of being blocked permanently. You are fully responsible for the content you post. Please be responsible and stay on topic.