Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Lectio Divina Meditation for the Sixth Sunday of Easter

Sixth Sunday of Easter Year C
May 9
“Trusting Jesus”

1. Lectio
John 14:23-29
23 Jesus answered him, “Whoever loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and my Father and I will come to him and live with him.
24 Whoever does not love me does not obey my teaching. And the teaching you have heard is not mine, but comes from the Father, who sent me.
25 “I have told you this while I am still with you. 26 The Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and make you remember all that I have told you.
27 “Peace is what I leave with you; it is my own peace that I give you. I do not give it as the world does. Do not be worried and upset; do not be afraid.
28 You heard me say to you, ‘I am leaving, but I will come back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father; for he is greater than I. 29 I have told you this now before it all happens, so that when it does happen, you will believe.

Comments
This week we continue to read about the teaching Jesus gave to his disciples in the context of the Last Supper (John 14-17). Jesus emphasises again his relationship to God the Father. He stresses that his teaching comes direct from the Father and that the critical point is for each one to put his teaching into action. But Jesus makes it plain he doesn’t expect us to be able to do this on our own. God the Father is going to send us a helper. The Holy Spirit is going to teach us everything we need to know to live, love and serve Jesus. Jesus tells them he will be leaving them to go to the Father. He doesn’t reveal just how soon this will be or explain the shocking nature of his death. But he does seek to reassure them. He promises them he will come back for them, that they won’t be left on their own but will have the Holy Spirit to help them and he leaves his peace with them. Jesus wants them to trust him. Even though they don’t understand everything now, later they will see what he was saying and believe in him.

2. Meditatio
1. Do we have problems with obedience? Do we find it easy to follow God’s commandments and the laws of the Church? What are some of the obstacles that prevent us from obeying? (Pause 3 minutes)
2. Do we find it difficult to listen to others, to their suggestions, their comments and sometimes their criticisms? Do we experience peace when we receive feedback from others? (Pause 3 minutes)
3. Spend time reflecting on the role of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit teaches us to remember everything Jesus has taught us. The Holy Spirit teaches us to obey God’s laws. The Holy Spirit teaches us to love. The Holy Spirit brings peace to our hearts. (Pause 3 minutes)

3. Oratio
Thank God for sending Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Ask God to speak to you and show you how he wants you to respond to him today. This may be out of a word or phrase from the Scripture passage or it maybe something prompted by one of the questions above. Take your time.

4. Contemplatio
Think about how much God loves you and how he has shown his love for you.

5. Actio
1. Personal Life: Spend time this week with a family member or a friend trying to listen to this person without having to interrupt with your own stories.
2. Communal Life: Discuss the problems of communications you may have in your community. What can you do about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Terms of Use: As additional measure for security, please sign in before you leave your comments.

Please note that foul language will not be tolerated. Comments that include profanity, personal attacks, and antisocial behaviour such as "spamming" and "trolling" will be removed. Violators run the risk of being blocked permanently. You are fully responsible for the content you post. Please be responsible and stay on topic.